Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Embracing Insomnia

I really don't think I ever slept through the entire night, but I have always considered myself well rested. Lately however, I have really been having quite a time with insomnia. Now, I know it is one of the symptoms of that wonderful biological phenomenon called menopause, but I have had to dig deep into my creative bag of tricks to overcome the fret that goes along with the problem. Here is a sample of my average night. Fall into bed in spoon position with sheet and comforter clutched to chest. Listen to the noisy chatter of the mind with eyes closed. Try not to move around and disturb the snoring husband. Beads of sweat now surfacing behind neck, under breast, behind knees.. oh, no.. it's squid time! Throw the comforter off before the whole body gets damp! Too late, the sheet is moist but the cool feels good. Doze a few, until chilly and wet sets in. Pull up comforter, better to be damp and warm than cold and wet. More mind chatter, and now restless legs are kicking in... the only cure for this is "kite position". Lie on right side with right knee bent, left leg straight and right foot touching right knee. Now sing the entire version of let's go fly a kite from Mary Poppins... keep at it till all lyrics are  correct... dozing, dozing and nap. Eyes wide open... remember significant dream, sweating in full progress... covers all off... quick shut eyes and count psychedelic sheep (no two can be alike), mind wanders to worry...alright meditate and think of nothing... can't cause the cold and damp is setting in again. Covers on in one angry grab and pull, oh oh ... husband now awake and moving closer to his side of the bed...jeez, no wonder, I must be gross. Roll over to the edge of my side and go into full fetal position and tell myself, ha! I like lying here with nothing to do but think! Let my mind conjure all kinds of crazy thoughts, and before I know it I'm dozing again until the next burst of sweat. Then the whole thing starts again... but it's a comforting routine that I have learned to live with.