Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Girls Night Out

Yesterday I waited all day in anticipation of my big night out with the girls. The girls are my daughters, who invited me along to their weekly Zumba class. I don't get out much these days and, so for me, this was a very big deal. Last week, I secretly danced an hour a day at home to Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine, just to get in shape. I know, it's like cleaning the house before the cleaning lady comes, but I wanted to be sure I was able to withstand the lively work-out. I worried that I would flounder about, out of breath, and then faint in front of them... and I would not be invited back. I worried about what I should wear. Years ago I taught an aerobics class, and I was sure that tights, leotards, and leg warmers were no longer in style... not to mention, my then six pack abs are now a middle aged spread. I also worried that, although I love to dance, Latin music is a bit foreign in my repertoire of dance music, and my boyish hips could not withstand the unhinged wiggles of those salsa dancer types. So much pre-night out jitters, and yet my Tarot card pick of the day, Three of Cups, alleviated my fears. It showed three women, holding up three cups, smiling, with the message: feeling exuberant, enjoying friendship, valuing community. I relaxed. When one of my daughters picked me up at 6:30, I was dressed in spandex capri style pants, sneakers and a big white Beck's (beer) tee shirt (this way no one could see my spread or my fused hips). With my high pony tail, water bottle, and towel, we headed for the door. She must have sensed my nervousness, as she assured me that, although the class was a good work-out, it was also fun and funny. Our instructor was a cute young male (the girls made sure to inform me that he was married) and when the music started, I forgot all about my nervousness. The routines were easy to follow, the music was eclectic ( I even sang along with an Elvis song "Devil in Disguise.") I kept at my own pace, and when the class was energetically hopping and jumping, I opted for more grounded and expressive  maneuvers. The rap-style song was a little challenging... thank goodness the routine was not too difficult. But I was on an endorphin high by the end of the class, sweating, swilling water, and enjoying the camaraderie of my fit and beautiful girls. They will never know how much I appreciated their offer to get me out of the house. So you can imagine that when the owner of the studio asked if I liked it, and would I return... I gasped a resounding, Yea, you bet!