Thursday, March 19, 2009

The House Goddesses of Old

My site is sub-titled 'Reflections of the everyday House Goddess', which for many is just a euphemism for a housewife. It is a shame that in this day and age, woman should ever feel apologetic for their role as a housewife, stay at home mom, or woman without a job. In ancient Greece there was a Goddess named Hestia, who was a Goddess of the Hearth or Sacred Fire. She was so highly regarded that she was one of the 12 Olympians (or gods) that ruled over the mortals. She favored a quiet, humble hospitality, and because she became weary of her family's quarrelsome nature, she gave up her seat to Dionysus, God of Wine. It is said that this God, chased women around and they frequently became mad and violent (which is why I never drink the stuff). Although a beautiful woman, Hestia chose not to marry, but instead dedicated herself to tending to those who needed the sanctuary of a stable home environment. As the keeper of reserves, she made sure everyone who came to her home was comfortable. Another Goddess in the Greek pantheon was Hera. She was the wife of Zeus, and although she gets a bad rap for being jealous and vindictive, she actually was the mother figure for his children, and enjoyed a 300 year honeymoon with him. As he was a philanderer, sometimes Hera would retreat to her own world, hoping he would miss her... perhaps he did, but it was she who always relented and returned. As she was the Goddess of Marriage, one would expect no less an emotional response on her part. She was called upon to protect children, the sanctity of marriage, and financial security. Lastly, there is Aphrodite, whose power stands apart from any God... she had many dalliances. She is known as the Goddess of Love and Beauty, but lesser known are her powers over laughter, art and poetry, and lovemaking. She was very dependent, but also fiercely protective of her children. So, as I reflect upon these Goddesses of old, I can relate to them in my own life... and I call upon their strengths when I need to, and always find solace. As a domestic goddess in my own right, I want to be a saintly helper of people, a supportive companion, a strong defender of the family, an artist, and enjoyer of life. I embrace the tenets of these Goddesses of old.. and many others. Though I live my life at home, I feel I am moving the world along ... in my own glorious way.