Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow Day, Yea!

I'm not a big fan of winter, in fact, I'm pretty sick of it by now. But last night as I listened to the weather report, they were touting a mega storm, and I got a little excited. Maybe it's just a carry-over from childhood, although that was decades ago, but there was some excitement that called for a celebration. All through the history channel program that I watched, I kept flipping to weather channel, to make sure that the big storm was still coming. I skipped my normal 8:30 bedtime and stayed up for 2 hours past it. A celebration usually calls for an extra cocktail, or two... after all we are facing a major weather event, and so just to feel naughty and quell my excitement for a snow day, I imbibed. When I got up this morning, albeit a little late, I was disappointed to see the snow had stopped and there were only 3 or 4 inches on the ground! I went straight to the news to see what was going on, and found my self hoping schools in my district were closed. I don't have a job, so I don't get the sneaky pleasure out of a snow work from home day, but I wanted to make sure last night celebration wasn't for naught. Sure enough, schools were closed because as reported, the heavy stuff won't be coming down til the afternoon. It is still being advertised as a mega storm! I put on my snow apparel and went out to shovel... just for the fun of being outdoors. I was still waiting for the blizzard, as the snowflakes gently fell, and the borough plows went down the street twice within a half an hour. The biggest thrill was eavesdropping on my husband's teleconferenced meeting. It's a side of him I never get to see... but I'm impressed! By mid-afternoon, the whole storm was over and was a complete bust, even though the media was still going on about it. Oh, well, just like when I was a kid, the anticipation of a snow day is often more exciting than the actual day off.