Monday, March 30, 2009

The Waiting Game

Yesterday we had a second visit from a family who is interested in buying our home. Although I made a point of concluding that since they had already seen it, I did not need to go overboard with cleaning and polishing... I did. The morning was spent scrubbing , polishing, disinfecting, and generally running around like a nut with cleaners and rags. Once the dirtiest chores were completed I baked some chocolate chip cookies, as a way to make the house smell homey, and also as a welcome to our return family. I was happy they arrived on time, and we exchanged some pleasantries and then went about our Sunday errands. I thought for sure, they would have their realtor contact ours yesterday after the visit. Today I am getting antsy waiting and wondering why the phone isn't ringing with an offer. I have been practically walking around the house with the phone in my hand all morning. I held off my trip to the grocery store until noon, figuring that lunchtime would probably be the safest time to walk the hour trip and not miss a call. However upon return home... no call or message. I've been telling myself that just because I am impatient and when something gets in my head I have to do it immediately, other people are just as likely to be mullers and take their time making a decision, especially an expensive one. The suspense is mounting.... will they call, do they want it, did their grown children not like it, are they contacting a lawyer first... the thoughts go on and on. I tried to divert my attention to my creative pursuits, but I just couldn't get into it today. I want an answer in the form of an offer so I know where we stand on our mission to get going on the road... so close, just one little dollar amount will do the trick... c'mon please call. Jeez, if it was ever apparent that I could use a little more patience, more thoughtfulness, and a dose of reality, today is a banner day for that realization.