Tuesday, March 31, 2009

In My Room

" There's a place where I can go and tell my secrets to"... you know, the 1963 hit by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys which is one of my favorite songs. I too, have a room where I go to find myself, or sort things out, or celebrate in my own little way. I refer to it as the Meditation Room, and it became mine when my oldest daughter moved out. I painted it the color of raspberry sherbet and pasted those sticky glowing stars on the ceiling. Four of the bigger stars designate the directions of North, South, East, and West so I can maintain my bearing in the world up there. There is silver carpeting and a big white meditation pillow that sits on the floor. In the morning when the sun rises in the east view window, I sit there and get lost in a meditation of color. Usually the first color I see is orange, (supposedly the color of my aura) but within minutes as I adjust the tension in my closed eyes, the colors change to yellow, maroon, purple, and then white. Occasionally I see green and turquoise as well. If it is dark, I will light a candle, and usually I burn incense as well. An old antique mirror sits on the floor, and often as I gaze into it I can see myself as I really am, and not how I'd like to appear. Below the window is an old bureau, where I change candles, and decorate this "alter" with natural elements from the season... flowers, pine cones, sea shells, holly... everything is sacred here. Sometimes I will do a reading or two from a Celtic prayer book, and I always read messages from my Angel Book to keep me grounded. A beautiful nude statue of Aphrodite stands with arms lifted to the heavens, reminding me of my own goddess good fortune. Sometimes, I will strum a little Tara harp that I've acquired, and I am proud that I can tune it by ear and play twinkle twinkle, little star. I have a set of Runes, which are diving stones that let me know what's in store for my restless nature... more than not, I will pick the Rune for required patience. This room has been a sanctuary for me these past few years, and I'm thankful that I have gained insight from my deliberations there. When the house sells (which it will) I will certainly miss my room. But I have learned from the Tao readings that I do, that all is impermanence, and I will embrace the change that comes from letting the material world (including my room) go.