Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bring on the Weeds!

I just got in from my walk to the grocery store and I'm finally all excited about Spring. The buds on the trees are chartreuse in the sunlight and as I look up into the blue sky with grey and white clouds as a backdrop it's simply breathtaking. By as I was walking along the neat row of houses in the residential neighborhood on route to the store, I kept looking down at the edges of lawn to see the prettiest assortment of weeds. My favorite's are the dandy lions with their golden seussical hairdo. Most people hate them and much time and money is spent keeping them from growing on those posh lush lawns that some people are proud of. My lawn is sprouting with them and I couldn't be happier. I even love when their heads turn white and fluffy and I can pick them and blow wishes into the wind. Another weedy favorite is the wild purple violets that crop up on the lawn. They seem to be guarded by the numerous round leaves that surround them because they are so tiny and fragile looking... but don't be fooled. I've seen them grow in sidewalk cracks as well. I don't know the proper names of some of the other weeds that delight me, but one variety is white star-shaped with pink stripes and seems to like shady places. Another is a dusty purple spiked weed that only grows about an inch high, prefers sunlight and is a favorite of bees. Then there the busy weed that looks like tiny versions of a forget me nots, and is a beautiful sky blue and white that matches the sky. They grow in wild random clusters often next to phone poles on the very properties where people would not want them... weeds can be spiteful. My yard is full of weedy friends and they are at home there because I like the color and diversity in a lawn that most would consider raggedy. Add in the moss and dirt patches and it's a yard I can be truly proud of.