Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How a Day Flies South

Every day is a new adventure in learning... especially when you don't have the luxury of distraction, like a job. I awoke predawn, excited by the prospect of the Spring heat wave and the need to post poetry that has ripped into my psyche. Think before you speak is my new mantra, however, I am an impatient soul. Knowing there was some tension, I did my exercise routine... ah, solace in the discipline of Pilates... a good start. Next, I tackled the issue of calling the unemployment office as my extension was granted but checks were not forthcoming. I waited for the live person, an hour in queque as I continued the daily routine of laundry, dishes, and other domestic chores. My Dad called four times to my ignoring. Finally a surly man got on the phone, and put in my information... I was calm. He said, "you were cut off, but there is an extension, you know, why didn't you speak to a live person. I took a deep breath and replied, "isn't that is what I'm doing now?" Yea, he replied, you haven't received a check in a month" ( somewhere I heard a dumb bitch refrain in his voice). "I'm trying to be patient," was all I could reply. Unamused, I could hear violent typing into his computer, "you shoulda called sooner, now I have to delete you to put you back into the system, you'll get your paperwork in the mail." He hung up annoyed. Meanwhile, my Dad called in a panic, " I tryed to call you several times but this new god-damned cell phone isn't working. "I replied as calmly as I could, Dad, I'm talking to you now, I was on a phone queque and didn't want to disrupt the call. What is the matter?"   "Well... (deep drag of his cigarette) I was telling you last time about the Charles Dickens special on masterpiece theater, Little Dorrit... "yes, Dad, I read the book when I was in my teens." "Well", he countered, "it turns out that Charles Dickens left his wife and ten kids, for a young woman because the wife got fat." Ok Dad, your point? "Well, I'm just saying, men do that, you know." He then proceeded to tell me all about his TV shows, as I feebly offered, "no, I don't watch TV Dad, but go on." In a span of an hour, I heard all about the danger of the Internet and why I should not be posting there, the poor girl (Susan Boyle) with the great voice being ruined by make-overs, why the phone company is all messed up, and why everyone is always bragging about them self when nobody really gives a damn. I am a good listener, even for negativity. I hung up thinking about the words of Ram Dass, "if you think you're enlightened spend a week with your family." I am already dreading the trip south... think happy thoughts Wen, hang in there.