Monday, April 13, 2009

The Culinary Torch has Been Passed

He arrived early as planned with his quiet excitement for his well planned menu. My son Dale was cooking the Easter dinner for the family. The pork shoulder and specialty ingredients were purchased a day in advance, his enthusiasm was contagious as he prepared the roast with a homemade marinade. The recipe was simply written on yellow lined paper... a gift he received from the mother of his friend Jesus. She had prepared this meal for her family many times, and sent leftovers to my son who enjoyed the rich flavors of her native Puerto Rico. He wanted to share this meal with his own family and yesterday he did just that. The yucca was peeled and cubed and put to boil as the pork slow roasted in the oven. Several times he corrected my pronunciation of the foreign vegetable. Yellow plantains were stripped, sliced, and fried to golden perfection in small salted batches. Rice was toasted and then put to simmer with sofrito and pigeon peas. He explained the process along the way as one who truly enjoys his craft. The fatted skin of the shoulder was put to a quick broil to crisp up the skin, the meat then laid to rest... to set before the carving. I was allowed to oversee the making of the gravy... my one big culinary mastery, and he performed it brilliantly. Our feast was thoroughly enjoyed by the family, and yet as we savored the rich flavors of the meal, my son reviewed his performance as a critique for next time. In my eyes everything was perfect, but my opinion doesn't really count because he is my son and I am blinded by a mother's love.