Monday, April 27, 2009

Riding High


What a glorious day it is, I'm so excited I could burst! This is my favorite season... Spring, when all my favorite colors shine brilliantly in the warm sun. I took a bike ride this morning and it was already pushing 70 degrees (wonderful for me because I like it hot). I got giddy gazing around at all the blooms that blossomed over this weekend's heat wave. The cherry, apple, and pear trees are in full blooms ranging from white to fuchsia depending on the variety. I spotted my favorite lilac's in lavender delight and was able to steer my bike close enough to get a whiff of that perfume... mmm I was instantly transported back to my childhood where I spent countless hours under the lilac bushes reading poetry. Scent brings back the most vivid memories. Everywhere I rode, my head was turning side to side as I didn't want to miss a blooming color. Even the spring leaves that have sprouted are the perfect shade of chartreuse today and green pollen is everywhere... do you think I care? Japanese maples have shined up their leaves to a bright red, while the birch trees have hung their caterpillar buds up to dry in the sun. I spent 40 minutes riding around town on my bike and it wasn't enough; just thinking about what I saw this morning, I'm going to walk to the store for something... just to get another look at my beloved trees. One of the neighbor's recently planted this cheery little cherry, and so I snuck over with my camera to take a shot and welcome the little one to the neighborhood. Obviously I am an unashamed tree hugger... you can see the ecstasy in my profile pix as I hug a giant redwood. I also talk to them... but maybe that's giving away too much information. So once I finish here I'm going for a slow walk to the store, just to get another look at this perfect Spring day!