Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Chance Meeting

The other day while I was waiting at the courtesy counter at the local supermarket, I was startled out of boredom by a high pitched screech of a voice coming from behind me. Startled, I turned to face an elderly woman with pocketbook slung over a shoulder clutching a walker. She was clearly distressed as evidenced by the involuntary shaking of her white curly head as she demanded to speak with the manager. The clerk, pretending to be the manager, asked her what was wrong. She hesitated, before she blurted out, "someone parked crooked in the handicapped spot and I couldn't get my car in." Before the clerk could respond, she produced a piece of ragged paper and waved it wildly, "I got the license plate." Suddenly she looked confident and in control of the situation... I thought, ok girl, you go. I tried not to stare at her as I'm apt to do when intrigued with human behavior (I've been asked several times in my life, "what the hell are you looking at?" and I don't dare answer, "nothing.") But in one glance I could see that although she was probably 20 years my senior, she had lipstick on, sported a handsome pantsuit, and she was tall and stately. The clerk announced the offender's license plate over the loudspeaker as the manager appeared. Suddenly, a little old man hobbled over and asked why he was being paged. This was going to interesting, I thought. The lady yelled at him..."I couldn't get in my spot because you parked all crooked and took up two spaces"... (I couldn't help but noticing him glance at his accuser up and down and I almost laughed thinking, ok dude you still notice like a man). His face fell in deference to her and with an apologetic look he said, "I'm sorry but when I was pulling in the person pulling out almost hit me... it was his fault really, but I'm really very sorry"... now I saw the softening in the old woman's face as she was somehow victorious. As I left the store, I watched this couple hitting it off in their exchanges of inconsiderate drivers. The anger was gone, and it seemed a perfectly good chat. Mmmnn, I thought, wouldn't it be great if these two developed a budding relationship in the winter of their years. A romantic like me will always see possibilities.