Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Going to the Dentist...Yea!

I've been looking forward to my dental appointment for weeks now. I know it sounds crazy but gone are the days of having those painfully digging teeth cleanings... now I get gas, sweet sleepy gas. Like a kid waiting for the prize from the gumball machine, I barely listen to the lecture about flossing and proper brushing technique. I wait in anticipation of the vanilla smelling mask that will hug my face, and then the wafting of that aromatic breeze that floats up my nose. Mmmnnn... I can't breathe deeply enough. Suddenly I am miles away from the chat of the hygienist, my mouth is open and awaiting the scraping and digging, but my mind is gently floating in thoughts of sunshine, lollipops, and world peace. My gas makes me high, calm, and happy as I float far, far away. Words spoken become impressionistic in their blur. I can't answer to the incomprehensible chatter going on around me and I couldn't care less. I peacefully listen to the classical music that plays in the background and enjoy myself in a state I can only usually achieve with meditation. Time goes slowly and it is a good thing as I think, oh goody she still has the whole set of top teeth to clean. It's only when the valve gets turned to oxygen that I am snapped back to the real world... only mildly disappointed that the cleaning is over. As I have no car, I have to walk the half mile or so to get to my appointment and as it had been raining, normally I would be terrified of seeing worms on the pavement. Not anymore, as I finally realized where this phobia comes from and I plan on making peace with worms... it wasn't their fault I became afraid. The only danger lies in the fact that the weather holds the threat of a thunderstorm. If there is lightening my umbrella could prove dangerous. My mom always told me that if you get struck by lightening you become an instant saint. Since that would be scary, I think I'll just wear my rubbered sneakers and take my chances.