Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bad Girl


Yesterday was one of those days that started out with such promise and ended in a blur of disgust. Gerry had a day off and we both decided to quit smoking... starting today. After our usual trips to the store and the bank, we settled on tacos for dinner and a nice long porch sit... enjoying cocktails and the last pack of our cigarettes. I get so excited when I have a human to talk to during the day, but after a few "captain obvious" statements blurted out in the spirit of that excitement, I decided to concentrate on my writing and give Gerry's ears a rest. I sipped my usual water whiskey (1/2 shot to a pint glass of ice-water with a straw) chain smoked, and got busy writing a nagging thought that needed it's say. Gerry did dinner prep, made my favorite guacamole, and then settled down to do some writing himself. A quick visit from his parents was our only diversion... we chatted and all was pleasant and cozy. A few more cocktails, many more cigarettes, and some kooky thoughts not meant for sharing stole the rest of the afternoon... somehow I managed to find myself upstairs in bed for a much needed nap... instead I got dizzy and sick, and Gerry had to be my nurse... he was wonderful before I passed out. It was getting dark when I awoke and the last thing I felt like was another cocktail... so I drank some water and tried to eat some of the delayed dinner. The worst part was I still had four cigarettes to smoke... yick. Gerry and I both managed to finnish our disgusting pack of cigarettes and looked forward to the big quit (using Nicorette gum instead of cold turkey this time). Today I feel fine, took an hour bike ride at a clocked cruising speed of 13 MPH and I'm hydrating like crazy. I hate the gum... it burns my tongue, but I have no cravings or tempting thoughts about cigarettes. I'll probably do some singing, to remind myself of how my once decent voice has been wreaked by years of my nasty habit. Yes, it was a day that slipped away from me... but a new beginning is in the air.