Thursday, July 2, 2009

Stuffing a Loin...

Day one with no cigarettes wasn't so bad (as you recall I made myself sick on them). I chewed the gum at regular intervals and spent a very quiet and solitary day, writing, doing word find, watching Jeopardy and going to bed early... 8PM. I tossed and turned all night like a fretful baby, thankfully a big thunderstorm arrived so I had some entertainment. BAM a frightful simultaneous flash and crash... it was fascinating and terrifying at the same time. I fell asleep at dawn. Today is more of a test of the withdrawals associated with the addiction. My daughter and her husband are returning from VA with our youngest, who really didn't like living there or working there. (this is how we develop impromptu parties at my house). I'm in charge of dinner and since I don't feel like walking a mile to the food store with the threat of more thunderstorms, I'm making due with what I can find here. I defrosted a pork loin and remade some cornbread stuffing using southern cooked kale to stuff it with. All was going just fine until the tie up. Yikes, usually Gerry does this with the skill of a master chef... J. Pepin comes to mind. I had to call him cause I couldn't find the meat yarn (forgot what you call that ball of cord) and it was where I 'd never suspect. I was feeling a little nervous and a wee bit agitated as the stuffing kept falling out of my attempt at butterfying the meat. The Red Hot Chili Peppers blasted from iTunes and started getting on my nerves... I needed concentration here... damn, how does he get that rope to tie the meat and stuffing together, I should have paid more attention. Oh well, I just cut pieces and tied the gaping mess together with knotted shoelaces... about six of them. There was stuffing left over ( and plenty that spilled out of the meaty mess) but it wasn't enough for the expanding guest list. My son would be flying in from Memphis and would be coming as well, better make more. Frozen bread got thrown in the food processor, more onion and celery and chicken broth and lots of butter on top. Now a need a vegetable, shoot the only thing on hand is the bag of baby carrots that were bought for Otis my bunny. He'll only need three tonight so I'll dill them up with more butter. Salad will be a whole package of dark baby greens, some leftover tomato, and sliced almonds- no can do Erica is allergic. Wow it's really slim pickings for the salad. Dessert is easy... leftover cookies and cake from the open house, store bought with a long shelf life and there is watermelon ( I always have fresh fruit on hand, even thought me and Otis are usually the only ones who eat it). I'll make a pitcher of ice-tea, if the kids want beer I hope they bring it. Now I'm jittterry and see a big kitchen mess ahead of me... where is the f#$%ing Nicorette? Otis, did you hide it on me? Ok, found it... now steady and chew, deep breath... find the happy place... Animal Logic is a nice happy album... "firing up the sunset gun?" "living in a cold cruel world"... maybe not...oh now it's "someone to come home too" and very peppy. Screw the clean-up, I need to dance for a while. Gerry will help me when he gets home, and by that time I'm be calm again. And we will all have a good time, as he and I chew and know that we are both someone to come home to! 

Haha the lyrics from Pink Floyd are singing, "you got to pick up the meat with your eyes closed"... too funny...