Wednesday, July 8, 2009

No Jitters... just be cool!

I'm up at 5:00 AM... ok 5 :15. I'm excited about my first day on a job I haven't done in 10 years, but jeez what an ungodly hour to have to get started. The clothes were all laid out , like my first day back at highschool... even my make-up was arranged on the bureau... lunch money in my wallet and every piece of of documentation that I possess was in my pocketbook to prove my experience. Many trips to the bathroom , only one cup of coffee allowed... deep breaths and the asking of angels to help me with the terror of this bold move at changing my life. I left the house looking sharp in business clothes that haven't been worn in over a year... and pumps and a flip hairdo, hey older women need a little kick. Rode to work in my daughter's new car and felt like a big deal again. I arrived  early and was thrown a pager, some books, and paperwork with an apology that this unit was in crises..."it's OK, I'm your pinch hitter," I said with cheerfulness and shaky knees. Ushered to a real hospital unit, smelling of the past... nice people glad to see me there... I didn't forget any of the medical jargon and almost jumped in at the report with my old confidence. The computer system was archaic... but though I know how it could be set up so much better to save these nurses the waste of their time... kept my yap shut and offered a willingness to help and a feeling it wasn't a big deal to learn... people skills kicked in and my mentors taught me everything they could possibly think of to help me in this temp job. I made friends... I love these hard working nurses, I belong in healthcare to help make things better. Met a nurse I hadn't seen in 14 years... she was best friends with my mentors ...she didn't remember me at first (my hair is no longer dyed blond), but when she did, boy she remembered my boyfriend now turned husband Gerry and the kids, and we picked up where we left off. She offered him and me a big hug... I took it and then hugged my mentors for sharing their wisdom, their friendship, and their personalities on my first day (nurses are very touchy feely... too bad the world hasn't caught on )! Parking cost me $14 dollars, lunch $ 6, hey, it's in a city... no matter, I will go back tomorrow and help where I can... I should be paying them for such a great day in a field I should have never left. The gods and goddesses are smiling, I'm back where I belong.