Thursday, July 9, 2009

Going with the Flow

Day 2 of my big adventure in a place no longer familiar to me... the hospital where I first learned my nursing care. Years of tending to the needs of my patients (and my patience), mostly physical and psychosocial... back then you didn't dare say spiritual (it was forboden). Now I minster to the health of the hospital itself by making insurance companies pay their fair share... by managing the appropriateness of care delivered. I still remember from experience what is a defendable length of stay and quality care... no need for the huge binder of mandated rules. In a calm and smiling demeanor I care about what I do, but not at the risk of frustration. I figure things our for myself, take breaks by walking the labyrinths of foreign hallways, elevators, and stairwells that sometimes go to nowhere. I parse through numerous windows of information to gather the defending facts... and if I get lost, I simply smile and ask for directions... it's not so hard being the new kid on the block.