Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm a Big Girl Now...

WOW what a difference a few weeks makes... I had a year off with no car, no cell phone, no friends calling, and a house that would not sell even though I tried my best magick tricks to make it so. So like a teenager who was done being grounded for shooting my big mouth off  to the principal in my past corporate high paying job,  I am all "growed up" and starting over. Here is my "new" car, a 98 Jetta I call Redwing, with 155,000 miles and still shiny off the dealer's lot. He runs a little rough, not like my sweet 2000 Vovlo S-40 named Bessie who I gave away  when I lost my job. My new guy stalls when I drive too slow, and the transmission slips and sometimes he bucks like a wild mustang, but I love him just the same for getting me to my new job. I feel so important because I now have a beeper hanging off my pocket as I travel to work, and sometimes people call me in a panic even before I even show up. But I don't believe in talking on a cell phone while driving so they have to wait until I arrive, and besides I am not up to speed with all the new bells and whistles on the cell phone (a year makes a difference you know) so not all my numbers are programmed in yet. All around me people at the hospital where I  work are overwhelmed, and agitated, and unhappy... but I seem to be doing okay in my happy ignorance and I have met some nice people who take life in stride and enjoy what they do. I no longer try to save the world, that is definitely not in my job description! I finished my work early today and even got to help another case manager finnish her day before I left... happy to do it and no stress for me. I think this past year of meditating and contemplating what I want has finally payed off... I'm enjoying a job for the first time in my life and leaving it behind when I come home to rest. In the big picture, no job is really all that important. I wish everyone had the opportunity to feel that way.