Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Middle Aged Model for Hire


Today was a better day for me so I thought I'd share a giggle with you. Sunday I was invited to model a vintage wedding gown for the Red Hat Society. In case you didn't know, this society is an old girls club where 60 somethings get together, pay dues, and dress up in red hats (usually with purple acoutrement) and get senior discounts for luncheons and excursions and kicking up their heels. My mother -in-law is a member, and so is her friend Rita (aged 94). When she asked me to model one of the member's wedding gowns from 1965, of course I laughed and reminded her that I am no ingenue. " No, but your gorgeous", she stated ever so emphatically, "and Rita agrees with me"... how could I say no (clever, those gals.) There were five models who ranged in age from 20 -26, and me. We arrived at the luncheon and were warmly greeted by the Queen Bee of the chapter, a pretty lady who told a witty joke about a newlywed bride, horrified when her husband mentioned four letter words... clean, dust, iron and wash. A luncheon of finger sandwiches and a plethora of decadent desserts was laid before us. I hardly ate a thing as my Jackie O style gown was skin tight at the fitting and it's been 10 days with no cigarettes (food tastes so good). After the meal the "girls" were ushered into a cloakroom where we put on the gowns and waited our turn to parade around the restaurant with the homemade bouquets donated by one of the Red Hat ladies. As I entered the room I was met with a barrage of cameras flashing  and the women nodded in approval. I remembered my college days modeling assignment which involved the runway modeling of evening gowns, and I gave them my best catwalk in poses and flourishes. The highlight of the event came when I was asked to pose with the original wearer of the gown, a pleasant women who walked with a cane to pose a glamour shot with me. As she put her arm around me I suddenly felt humbled  and told her how honored I was to wear this beautiful gown... she told me I looked beautiful in it and I almost started crying (menopause?) What I thought would be a laughing joke in the midst of these real young ingenue's, turned into a thoughtful glimpse into "gal power"... I need not fear the distant future!