Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hired Sight Unseen? Way!

Resigned to the fact that my working days were behind me, I made plans to visit my baby sister and her five children down the shore today. In the craziest turn of events, a recruiter called yesterday to present a job opportunity after finding my resume on Monster. She performed a verbal interview with me, and with my usual candor I told her that the case management position she was considering me for, was something I had done nine years ago and I might be a bit rusty and out of touch. She forwarded the resume to one of my ex-employers hoping I would be granted an interview. She was thrilled when she called me back and stated, "they looked up your previous work records and would like you to start on Wednesday. Whaaattt.. no interview? I was stunned. "No they took my word that I thought you were a terrific candidate and you must have had good evaluations" ( I guess being chosen primary care nurse of the year was a big deal). So today I will be faxing paperwork, providing references, begging my daughter to borrow decent work clothes, borrowing my father-in-law's car, and getting the usual first day back to school jitters. Who knew getting a job could be this easy... it only took 16 months.